Nationwide Tax Assistance with Proven Results
Common Mistakes on Your Tax Returns

Common Mistakes on Your Tax Returns


Tax returns can be complex and yet, many of us want to save some money and tackle our tax filings ourselves. While this can be successful, you are also at risk of making mistakes that could later raise eyebrows at the IRS. Learning of errors on your taxes can lead the IRS to initiate an audit of your taxes, which is a process that should always be taken extremely seriously to avoid any unnecessary allegations or penalties. If you have been notified of an audit, you should contact an experienced IRS tax audit lawyer as soon as possible for assistance.

The good news is that you can often avoid an audit by filing accurate and complete tax returns. The following are some examples of errors to avoid on your taxes in 2017:

  • Incorrect personal information – If you file taxes with the incorrect name, social security number, or birth date, the IRS will realize that it is different from your previous returns. If the difference is substantial, it could even raise concerns of identity theft or other types of fraud.
  • Not reporting all of your income – There are many types of income that should be included on your tax returns including wages, tips, self-employment income, investment dividends, inheritances, lottery winnings, and more. The IRS is likely aware of all of the income you received, so trying to hide or omit any income can only raise a red flag.
  • Incorrect filing status – If you filed last year as “single” and this year, you accidentally file as “Head of Household,” the IRS will likely question your returns and send them for review.

These are only some of the many mistakes on your tax returns that can lead to a review or audit.

Discuss Any Legal Tax Issues with Our Chicago IRS Audit Attorneys Today

If an error leads to an audit, you should seek advice and representation from an experienced IRS tax defense lawyer as soon as possible. The team at Attorneys Tax Relief LLC is here to assist you, so please call us at (800) 261-6671 today.